Meteorologist Mark Seely, North Shore Fashion, a Dash into the Big Lake, and More
Visitors who brave the onset of pre-winter will have front-row seats to the world’s largest freshwater fury at the fifth annual Lake Superior Storm Festival in Lutsen and Grand Marais, Friday, November 10 – Sunday, November 12, 2017. This is the time of year when Lake Superior unleashes; the skies turn dark, pressure systems collide, causing howling wind, 15-foot waves to emerge, and icy waves lash on the rocks.
“We want visitors to experience the power and wild beauty of the Big Lake,” says Linda Jurek, executive director of Visit Cook County. “There are cool-weather activities for everyone, including those who just want to enjoy a bit of coziness before the bedlam of the holidays sets in.”
This year’s activities include:
Friday, November 10
• Taking Fashion by Storm Fashion Show. Come check out the latest and greatest stormy gear!
• Shipwreck presentation by local expert Jim Shinners
• Storm Festival Presentation with international explorer Lonnie Dupre
• Call-In Trivia Radio Show on WTIP radio 90.7 FM. Try and answer these tricky Lake Superior and storm-themed questions
Saturday, November 11
• Featured speaker, Mark Seely, well-known meteorologist for the University of Minnesota, will give a presentation on the effects of weather on Lake Superior
• Annual Wave Dash at Lutsen Resort. This is a bit like a Polar Plunge into Lake Superior, but instead of jumping, you dash. Dashers get a special festival gift and can warm up afterwards with a roaring fire on the beach or even go in the Lutsen Resort hot tub
• Painting Up a Storm class. Learn how to paint a stormy scene!
• “Spirits of Lake Superior” Shipwreck Dinner.