Lakehead University Radio’s Fund Drive Returns with Various Events
By Sarah Kerton
A season spent largely indoors, winter is a great time to get familiar with local radio stations. I tend to keep my Tivoli locked on CILU 102.7, for its incredible selection of independent music you won’t hear anywhere else, its quirky shows, and close connection with the community. CILU currently broadcasts 46 locally produced radio shows, including the only locally produced jazz, classical, and blues show in Thunder Bay, as well as an additional number of syndicated shows.
CILU broadcasts 24/7, 365 days a year from the little white radio house on the Lakehead University campus at 707 Oliver Road. Running such a big ship with a small staff (two full-time and two part-time) means that CILU is volunteer-powered. Over 50 volunteers contribute to the station as board members and programmers (DJs), and include both Lakehead University students and community members of all ages. The station is partially funded by the student body of Lakehead University, with about 60% of operating costs covered by the student levy. The remaining 40% of operating costs are raised through sponsorships, year-round fundraising events, and the annual Fund Drive.
Station manager Tiina Flank says, “We are a community of listeners, contributors, donors, and volunteers and every year at Fund Drive, our listeners overwhelm us with their generous support.” This year the Fund Drive will take place from March 8–March 15. During this week, people can expect to hear some extra special Fund Drive-themed radio programming and there will be lots of prize giveaways for donors!
You can call the station at 343-8881 during the Fund Drive and make your pledge by cash, cheque, or credit card, or donate online by clicking the PayPal button at luradio.ca/funddrive. CILU will be at the Thunder Bay Country Market both Saturday, March 2 and Saturday, March 9 accepting donations and with a “donate what you can” raffle for some cool event tickets and CILU swag.